The Stardust Resort and Casino was a casino resort located on 63 acres (25 ha) along the Las Vegas Strip in Winchester, Nevada.
The Stardust opened in 1958, although most of the modern casino complex—including its main 32-story tower—was built in 1991.
It was demolished on March 13, 2007, a short lifetime even by Las Vegas standards, where casinos are torn down and rebuilt on a regular basis.
Shortly after the resort opened, the defunct nearby Royal Nevada hotel and casino (opened in 1955) was converted to become part of the Stardust. (Pacific Time) on November 1, 2006, after operating continuously for 48 years. In 2007, Boyd Gaming, which owned the property, began construction on Echelon Place, Stardust's intended replacement.
Construction was halted in 2008, however, during the economic downturn.
The famed Stardust sign became one of the symbols of Las Vegas.
Young Electric Sign Company was hired to fabricate the sign.
Kermit Wayne's design was selected for both the façade and the roadside signs.
Although Moe Dalitz, who took over from original developer Tony Cornero upon his death, said it was from his original plans, the sign was really part of Cornero's original concept.
The 1958 Stardust façade sign was 216 feet (66 m) long and 37 feet (11 m) high, wrapping around two sides of the building, and was lit with 7,100 feet (2,200 m) of neon tubing and 11,000 incandescent bulbs.
Cosmic rays of neon and electric light bulbs beamed from behind the model Earth in all direction.
Three-dimensional acrylic glass planets spun alongside 20 sparkling neon starbursts.